[Install BOINC and then you can take your pick of which distributed computing projects you wish to assist with your computer’s downtime.]
BOINC-based distributed computing projects include:
* Climateprediction.net: Improve the accuracy of long-term climate prediction.
* Einstein@home: search data from the Laser Interferometer Gravitational wave Observatory (LIGO) in the US and from the GEO 600 gravitational wave observatory in Germany for signals coming from rapidly rotating neutron stars, known as pulsars.
* LHC@home: improve the design of the CERN LHC particle accelerator.
* Predictor@home: Solve biomedical questions and investigate protein-related diseases.
* SETI@home: Analyze radio-telescope data, looking for evidence of extraterrestrial life.
We encourage you to participate in multiple projects, so that your computer will be kept busy even while projects are down or out of work.